A 1934 Alvis Speed 20 SC supplied by Charles Follett with Vanden Plas coachwork to the ‘Continental Tourer’ specification, designed by Oxborrow and Fuller. 2.7 litre Alvis 6-cylinder engine, triple carburetors, all-synchromesh gearbox, independent front suspension. Chassis no: 11908
Oxborrow & Fuller
Oxborrow and Fuller (O&F) operated from a suite of offices in Curzon Street, London W1 – just around the corner from Charles Follett, the Alvis distributors in Berkeley Street from whom the basic car would have been ordered. Oxborrow’s partner Capt. C.C. Fuller had been a salesman for Charles Follett and around 1934 he had established his own coachwork design business, marketing his ‘Continental Tourer’ coachwork. It is believed that Fuller did the drawings and design work while Oxborrow dealt with the marketing.
As far as is known, the ‘Continental Tourer was only ever one design in the standard Vanden Plas shape with O&F’s alterations, but it was marketed on several chassis – Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Alvis and Lagonda (there may have been others).
The basic design was a combination of drophead coupe comfort with the advantages of tourer openness and simplicity of operation. This was achieved by fitting winding windows in the front doors with chrome-framed glass rear quarter windows for good weatherproofing. There were many other comfort features and a very high quality finish. The bodies were constructed by Vanden Plas from the basis of standard designs altered to Oxborrow’s ideas. It appears that there were three open cars and one saloon on Alvises of this type. Although mostly unknown, the O&F cars were rare and desirable and it is possible that this example is the sole survivor of the Alvis Oxborrow and Fuller Continentals.
(additional O&F history supplied by Nick Simpson)